Some Thoughts on Fluoride

Posted .

At The Dental Studio in Sandy, Utah, Dr. David S. Peterson and our team value the quality of healthcare we provide our patients all year round. Because of the health risks involved with fluoride exposure, we want to share some thoughts about fluoride with our patients.

Consider this, since 1997, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has mandated that all toothpaste containing fluoride in them include this warning on its packaging as well as the tube itself:

Warning: Keep out of the reach of children under 6 years of age. If you accidentally swallow more than used for brushing, seek professional assistance or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.”

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) says that the concentration of fluoride in toothpaste sold in the U.S. ranges from 1,000-1,500 ppm (parts per million). Typically, dental office fluoride treatments have fluoride concentrations at much higher levels ranging from 9,000 ppm to 20,000 ppm. This is 9 – 20 times more potent than the level the FDA classifies as toxic (poisonous). To compare, the EPA has set a maximum fluoride level of 4 ppm for water supplies in the U.S.

Too much fluoride may cause fluorosis, a spotted discoloration on the teeth. The Department of Health and Human Services proposes reducing the level of community water fluoridation, because it can also be found in sodas, juices, along with toothpaste and dental treatments.

In addition to fluorosis, fluoride can be overdosed on. The lethal dose of fluoride is about 5 mg fluoride for every 2.2 lbs. of body weight. So, if you swallow a tiny amount you should be fine. But any excess is dangerous. Also, if you are allergic to fluoride, you can experience skin rashes, headaches, weakness, joint pain, blurred vision, fatigue or canker sores.

Dr. David S. Peterson and our team work hard all year round to make sure your oral care is healthy for your smile and your body. If you are looking for safe treatment for your health and smile, please call 801-278-4787 today!